Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Arrival

Shaun Tan’s, “The Arrival,” was a far less enjoyable read than I thought it would be. Ever since we learned the art of storyboarding in concept class, I’ve found myself wonder why there were not more comics without text. When I heard we were reading “The Arrival,” I was initially excited, however the novel was not what I expected. The author took advantage of the lack of words to tell a story that was far less literal, and more open to interpretation than story boards generally are. I got a vague feel for who the character was, but the subtle nuances of personality that you often see in really good storyboards were missing. I was not especially enamored of the backgrounds either; although they were definitely beautiful in their own way, they didn’t really appeal to my sensibilities. They were just too “mystical” and “artsy” for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment