Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Mr Natural and Underground Comics

I can appreciate the novelty of a comic that goes far beyond what considered culturally appropriate and throws sex, drugs, violence, and general immorality in the face of the reader, however reading something like this after the time during which it was culturally relevant isn’t a very exciting experience. Through the magic of the internet, most people in this day and age have seen every one of even the most horrifyingly lewd sex acts by the time they reach puberty. Violence constantly on television and you can find drug references pretty much anywhere. With content like always so readily available, seeing a comic book with a giant penis on the cover loses a lot of the shock factor it probably would have had when it was created. I read some of Robert Crumb’s Mr. Natural, and although I was surprised by the content in that I was not expecting it, I wasn’t shocked by it for what it was.

I did enjoy the psychedelic films we watched during class though, especially the Beatles videos. They were silly, and didn’t take themselves too seriously, and I think that goes a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment